Friday, January 27, 2006

Indoor lacrosse

So last weekend I'm playing pick-up indoor lacrosse. I'm guarding this guy who's wearing a Syracuse helmet, even though I'm pretty sure he did NOT go to Cuse. For those of you who don't know anything about lacrosse, Syracuse is one of the top lacrosse teams every year.

(Disclaimer: I'm generally the worst player on the field when I play indoor lacrosse, though there's one guy who plays in the pick-up games with less experience and/or skill than me).

So back to the story. I'm guarding this guy with the Syracuse helmet, who I'm pretty sure didn't go there. I don't know how I know, I can just tell. So I say to him, "Wow, did you play at Syracuse?" And he goes, "No." To which I reply, "Hmm. That's sort of silly then, isn't it."

He didn't say anything, but I could tell he felt stupid.

So later on in the game, this other guy, who's clearly one of the more talented players there, is guarding me, and he's laying off because he could probably tell that I'm not too skilled and he could probably tell that there was no way I was going to blow by him. So I get the ball and I wind up and fire a shot low, and I score a goal on a beautiful shot to the far low corner. I promptly stuck my stick between my legs and started to ride it like a horse, pretending to whip it, right past our bench. The guy who was guarding me gives me a really sour look, like next chance he got he was going to flatten me (sidenote: this is a no body checking game, so while there's stick checking and some incidental contact, you're not allowed to actually body check anyone).

So I look at him and say, "That was one of the first lax goals I've ever scored." His whole expression changed and he was like, "Oh. Nice shot."

4 Comments:

Blogger d said...

Sounds like you're making friends all over the place!

7:54 AM  
Blogger GoodTimesDad said...

That's what I'm about, bringing people together. I'm a uniter, not a divider.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Boski93 said...

I can see Kevin Nealon standing on the sideline saying, "there he goes riding the horse, feeling the flow".

3:23 PM  
Blogger MMA Media Advantage said...

That horse stuff is awesome. I wish I could have seen that.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home