Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Morning Arena Rock Thoughts

My Time Warner digital cable has something like 20-30 Music Choice channels, that each play a different genre of music non-stop (not videos, just songs). The best one, BY FAR, is the Arena Rock channel, that plays 80's metal (essentially hair metal). One of my favorite morning routines is putting on the Arena Rock channel while I get ready for work and rocking out while my son gets an education in good music.

So a new feature of this blog will be my Arena Rock Thoughts of the Morning (it will probably not be everyday). So, without further adieu...

1) "Swingin on the front porch, swingin on the lawn. Swingin where we want cuz there ain’t nobody home. Swingin to the left and swingin to the right. Think about baseball and swingin all night."

"I mixed up the batter and she licked the beater"

Listening to Warrant’s Cherry Pie this morning made me think "Why can’t bands today write music with the same kind of subtlety? Where are the thinly veiled sexual references and videos of chicks being hosed down while wedges of pie subtly highlight what the band is singing about? And did we REALLY stop listening to stuff like this because some record industry idiot convinced everyone that we should be listening to Pearl Jam and Nirvana? I mean, don’t get me wrong, Kurt Cobain wrote two good songs (actually, I really only think he wrote one good one, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt), but he was promoted as this songwriting genius, which I never thought he was. And then this effin guy goes and kills himself, which was way lame. Most of the hair metal guys almost killed themselves too, but they did it by either doing so many drugs and drinking so much that their hearts literally stopped (see Nikki Sixx) or by getting coked up and driving their expensive sports cars at dangerously high speed and crashing into something (see everyone else). Why can’t they make music like this anymore?

2) "If Looks Could Kill" by Heart

I remember sitting in my friend Dean’s room in 5th or 6th grade and listening to this song. Before we would start the song each time, we would dedicate it to a different ugly girl in our class. Boy, we really didn’t get the meaning of the song.

1 Comments:

Blogger GoodTimesDad said...

THe answer is: Kurt Cobain was a loser and was WAY overrated. Killing oneself through drugs and alcohol is way less cowardly than blowing one's head off because he couldn't handle the pressure of "making it." Either that or he realized that he'd actually have to handle Courtney Love for the rest of his life. That would be enough to do me in too.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home