Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Animal Kingdom

I'm sure this conversation plays itself out in almost every relationship in America (at the appropriate moment, of course):

"Hey, let's do it doggy-style!"

Do you think dogs ever say to each other, "Hey, I'm tired of doing it this way. Let's do it human-style tonight!"? Probably not.

All of this got me thinking in the shower this morning: considering that just about every animal in the animal kingdom essentially does it doggy-style (at least from what I've seen on Animal Planet and related shows), why is it called "doggy-style?"

The answer: Marketing.

The dogs are simply better at marketing themselves than all the other animals. Think about it. Alligators and lions could easily eat even the most ferocious dogs, but do we have pet lions and gators? Do we do it "Alligator-style" (well, I do, but that's another whole post in itself)? NO, and you know why? Marketing.

Just some random shower thoughts.

(Disclaimer: Since I plan on using this in a comedy routine if I ever do stand-up again, I don't want to hear of any of you stealing this and using it for commercial gain. By all means, feel free to crack your co-workers, friends, and loved ones up with my hilarity, but you better not make any money off of it. Oh yeah, and credit me when you get a laugh from it)

3 Comments:

Blogger Boski93 said...

Man's Best friend indeed. It is all a Madison Avenue ad campaign.

8:50 AM  
Blogger d said...

Oh crap, I wish I'd read all the way down before I sold this as a pilot to ABC Family...

11:55 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Aligator style just sounds frightening.

(randomaimee@sbcglobal.net)

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home